Study to Improve pasture management, livestock support program, Khanbogd, Bayan-Ovoo, Manlai, 2012, Altan nutag NGO, in cooperation with Clean Eenrgy NGO.
· Prepare questionnaire for sustainable pasture use based on the herders’ groups in Khanbogd, Bayan-Ovoo and Manlai soums
· Select herders including the study
· Conduct training on sustainable use pasture and opportunities lease pasture by contract
· Make interview with herders on pasture use and data analysis
· Develop pasture management methodology suitable to the Gobi region pasture carrying capacity
· Review whole pasture management program for Oyu Tolgoi at professional level (part 1, basic document), clarify activities in Part 2, 3, 4 and make recommendation
· Develop Livestock and Pasture Management Support Program
Livestock and Pasture Management Program consisted of 2 parts such as pasture management and support livestock business.
The following two components designed to support livestock business:
· Improve capacity to overcome livestock risks
· Improve livestock product quality and market prices
For improving quality of animals and livestock products and raising their value:
· To promote cooperatives to collect, classify, sort, select, wash, buy from herders with price incentives and market to end-consumers
· To improve the identification, veterinary and sanitary inspection and certification of animals and animal products.
· The following activities are proposed: to slaughter the animals in slaughterhouse with conditions adequate to veterinary and sanitary requirements, to found and conduct a small meat factory in the cooperative which will produce and realize meat and other animal products.
74.7 % of herders participated in questionnaire agreed the products with certificate of veterinary and sanitary inspection and identification. Also 80.1 % of herders agreed the foundation of local small and medium plants for livestock raw material processing. Organization of cooperatives was supported before therefore it did not be asked in this questionnaire.